Sunday, November 11, 2012

Reminiscing and Auditioning

Skene's Creek - just outside of Apollo Bay - Victoria
While looking at some other photos I came across this photo taken in September of this year when P and I were down at Skene's Creek which is just outside of Apollo Bay - a coastal (largely holiday) township - of Victoria. P and I had walked along the beach and onto the rocks and I had been taking shots of the rising surf just beyond them... I am sure in another life I had been a coastal dweller as I love the sea and its constantly changing scape.I never tire at watching its ebbs and flows. This day I had been taking photos of the flattish rocks just in front as in some ways the grooves and indentations reminded me of an aerial view... Little did I know that within a couple of hours I would be in a helicopter seeing very similar aerial views. In the 'grand plan' of things I have always wanted to create a sea/marine themed crazy quilt and I collect images whenever I can...  When I was looking over the shots this one struck me as the two extremes - the reflective stillness of the rock pools in the foreground and the beauty and the fury of the relentless breaking surf behind...

Auditioning fabrics, shapes and threads for the next block 
However, not a sea theme - more of a purple haze - for my next block and these fabrics are the possibilities. I have had the floral material for sometime now and every so often take it out and look at it - but now it has been upgraded  to be be the 'principle' colour theme which I will draw from. The photo doesn't offer a true tonal quality - but you get the idea. That 'blue' fabric is actually more of a green which is reflected in the stems of the flowers and offers (I hope) the block a bit of 'zing'. I will leave them 'settle' for a few days before I decide. Perhaps only six or seven of the fabrics will make the final cut and I am relying on mostly embroidery stitches to offer texture but of course there will be some 'extras' in the way of beads, etc to justify my bower bird collecting...

Well, enough from me...

Until later, take care and keep those needles threaded...

Sharon x

No comments: