Tuesday, February 28, 2012

CQ 2012 Journal update...

...A quick update on my Feb block... Like many well laid plans mine were foiled - with some nasty virus over the last week. I had intended spending last weekend getting my Feb block almost to the finish line - unfortunately I was too busy feeling very under the weather to bother about anything... I spent most of the weekend either on the couch or in bed sleeping...

I felt so bad that I have ended up having a couple of days off work - yesterday was much the same as the weekend but today I felt a whole lot brighter and spent most of the day stitching in a vain attempt to try and catch up... I got quite a bit done but again not finished - but I have laid down the foundations to the direction that the block is travelling so unless there is a major hiccup I should have it finished  shortly...

You may have noticed straightaway that I have used the same motif as I did on my Jan block... I wanted something to link all 12 blocks together and since I have lots of ideas but nothing which is a continuing theme  I thought I would use the motif... So on each block somewhere will be my 'wheel' - it may be the whole shape or even just a hint of it...
fractured flower block

I am, as I have said before not a natural embroiderer, so every stitch or combination of stitches takes me far longer than someone who is 'born to the needle'. I find that - using the Cretan stitch as the example - once I get into a rhythm I am right - however if I am interrupted it takes me a while to regain momentum... Still while I find it a challenge I am also enjoying the challenge in putting these blocks together. In fact I think my ideas exceed the number of blocks that are needed - one idea I have  for a future block by using one of my daughter's cartoon characters as a feature..

As most of you know I work in a bookshop - constantly I am tempted!!! This book unfortunately for the paying public came into the store from the supplier damaged - as it couldn't be put on the shelf for sale I was lucky enough to get it... A fabulous book full of ideas and examples for creating patterns in all sorts of mediums...This will be well thumbed through and well used - especially with this challenge  :))



Well, until later take care...

Sharon x x

1 comment:

Gina E. said...

That book does look interesting! Your block is coming along well, and I like the concept of using a motif such as your 'wheel' to link all the blocks.
Glad to read that you are feeling better!
{{hugs}}