Saturday, October 23, 2010

' All Stitched Up'

The last 12 months or so I have been feeling overwhelmed with 'stuff'... I look around me and all that I see is stuff - overflowing!!! I have made some real attempts to downsize and earlier in the year our local op shop was the very lucky recipient of lots of overflow from my side of the wardrobe...

I am a product of parents who lived through the Depression years here in Australia and I think that their influence of - nothing is ever wasted - has long since become deeply ingrained. I just hate throwing things away without a very good reason. We won't even approach the subject of my books!!!! I think constantly about those who have so little and I do appreciate that I have more than enough...

There is however one major area in particular which I feel like I am drowning - my stitching and craft. I have stuff in cupboards, in boxes, the drawers crammed past capacity, a pile beside the computer, a treasure trove beside the coffee table etc, etc... And I think in the long run I have become more and more despondent because I am feel so overwhelmed and to a degree trapped by the chains of obligation to finish what I have started...

I believe that choosing not to go to the last craft event was a subconcious start - whilst my budget would have been severely restricted this time - it isn't the only reason I didn't go. Once my head would have been on a pivot trying to take in everything all at once - but just the thought of that bombardment - however visually delicious - made me want to cringe... Dramatic aren't I...

I have all these lovely things - most still in the packaging they came in and while I am not ready to give them away I don't want to add to them either. But I think the worst thing is my UFO's as they are so affectionately called - there are just too many to count... Why are they unfinished? Probably because I got tired of them or the next best thing attracted my eye...

Realistically I needed a course of action so I have created myself a stitching list called appropriately 'All Stitched Up' to see if I can at least swing the balance of the scales in the other direction a tad. G has talked about her list for a while now and how good she feels about what she has achieved and I can see by what she shows me - a real sense of accomplishment. While I think hers is a great idea - I want some room to move with what I do and not feel too guilty should I stray a wee way...


My plan is to list a maximum of five things at a time... This will at least give me some room to play in - I have realised as I have got older that while I like routine - I do like to play 'outside the square'... Hopefully this list will both promote the discipline to finish things and provide the freedom to move between a selected few... I will of course have progress pictures along the way...

Over the next week or so I shall start choosing the first five... Once I have completed one I will 'show case' it here and add it under the 'Completions' - this will show what I have achieved. Mostly it will be UFO's however I will include a project from time to time that I have had on the back burner for a time.

I would like to think that 12 months from now I will have some worthwhile things to show for my endeavours...

Well if I haven't bored you so far stayed tuned for future updates...

Until then

Sharon xx

3 comments:

Daffycat said...

It isn't fun when our hobbies start causing stress is it? Your plan of action sounds great!

Anonymous said...

Dearest Sharon...
Your post has also motivated me! I agree with you about feeling over-whelmed. There are probably many of us that feel this way! Listing only 5 items at a time is a good idea so the goal will seem managable. I will look forward to seeing your accomplishments!

pippirose said...

I feel that way, too. I finally took photographs of my craft/computer room--not to show anybody, but for me to see--to get out of denial in my "collecting" craft and art supplies and "stuff". My room, instead of a haven, has become non-conducive to creativity.
Good idea, your list.
:o)