Saturday, July 24, 2010

Margaret A Rowe

Yesterday I had the pleasure of meeting Margaret A Rowe - both author and quilter... Margaret has written two novels in what is to be a series called The Australian Challenge Quilt Series -based around our Australian quilting history...

The Maria Challenge Quilt is the first in the series, followed by The Elizabeth Challenge Quilt with a third novel due to be released shortly... From what Margaret spoke about yesterday I believe the books are set contemporary times with flash backs into our past...

Are they similar to Jennifer Chiaverini's 'Elm Creek' novels? Without me reading Margaret's I can't say for sure, however both series have connections to the past...

It seems that somehow I have missed Margaret's books on my reading quests and I look forward to at some time settling down with one... I had hoped to buy one to take away on holiday with me - but have just found out that the closet store to us doesn't have any on their shelf...

After reading books such as Jennifer Isaac's - The Gentle Arts, Pioneer Women of the Bush and Outback,
Margaret Rolfe's Patchwork Quilts in Australia and Australian Quilt Heritage and more recently The Fabric of Society by Annette Gero it has made me think in terms of our own history. I believe too often we overlook our own - perhaps not intentionally, to seek further afield - but it seems such a shame to miss what's 'growing in our own backyard' so to speak...

I have add Margaret's blog to my sidebar under Non Stitching - so give it a visit and say hello...

No comments: