Saturday, August 11, 2007

Not my work...



...but I thought you may like to see them... These two blocks have returned home after travelling the world for just over 12 months. They were part of a Crazy Quilt RR06 last year and there were about twelve women worldwide who took part diligently sewing as each person's block passed through their hands. Here is what they looked like 'naked' - scroll down to Sunday May 7th - which was the day they left to go 'touring'.

Whilst I knew the blocks were on their way home but I was totally surprised when a parcel turned up on Thursday night - I was just 'blown away when I opened them to find my finished blocks inside. I must admit I had a less than pleasant week and to find these beautiful blocks really helped me remember what is important in one's life - family and friends which of course included dedicated stitching friends. As I read my journal which accompanied the blocks I thought of each person and reminisced about their blocks which I too had contributed to.

The blue-green block green block I had christened Earth to Sea and I asked that theme could be carried out in what ever way the stitcher thought appropriate. I now have my own underwater scene complete with a mermaid, seahorse, jellyfish and other little nooks and crannies I discover each time I look... I can't stop touching the mangrove tree at the top of the block with the bulrushes beside it and the tiny fish swimming beneath them in the shallows of the tide blowing tiny air bubbles to the surface... There is so much to explore on this block that it has me searching time and time again...

The yellow/red block I had given free reign to - suggesting it could be stitched 'within an inch of its life'. Well, everyone took me at my word and I have an florist shop array of flowers complete with a dragonfly and butterfly darting between the blooms... It amazes me to how balanced the block is considering so many people who are unknown to each other have contributed to it. Incidentally my young niece has just looked at it and has made exactly the same observation.

I was so excited at their return that I took them to work to show my work mates who all said "What are you going to do with them??" At the moment I just want to hold them in my hands and look at them - perhaps a little further down the track I shall frame them for future generations to gaze upon them...

I would just like to thank each person who contributed to them from the bottom of my 'needleturned' heart - I just love them and appreciate all the work that has gone into them...

6 comments:

Maureen said...

Sharon
I'm so glad and relieved to hear of yet another set of embellished blocks arriving safely home!

I'm also happy for you that they arrived when you "needed a lift" :-)

Must go change my blogroll and add this one!

Jacqui said...

So glad they made it home, boy was that a long journey. Glad you are pleased too. Hugs xx

Linda said...

Guess who canot find your e-mail address. And is sorry you are at the bottom of the list.

But this is to advise you that you are "Nice". Very "Nice"

http://chloesplace.blogspot.com/2007/08/nice-matters.html

xXx

sooz said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog! And guess what? There was a little coconut dying going on over here tonight...glad I brought back all those 'great' memories :-)

Val said...

I SO happy you got those blocks back. I just love the sea-themed one. You know I always associate you with a sea horse!

Gina E. said...

Found you AGAIN! Thanks Pete...
Your CQ blocks are stunning - well worth the blood sweat and tears wait! I know how you feel, looking at them over and over, and finding something new each time. Some of my tablecloths get me like that. Hope I can see them 'in person' soon?